Harley Street at University College Hospital rated outstanding by the CQC
Harley Street at University College Hospital, part of HCA Healthcare UK, has been rated outstanding by national regulators the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Harley Street at University College Hospital specialises in delivering high quality complex care, focusing on blood cancers and blood disorders, with a JACIE accredited stem cell transplantation service. The facility also offers specialist treatment for solid tumour cancers.
The inspection highlighted a number of outstanding areas of practice particularly the commitment to innovation in medical treatments and drug therapies, including immunotherapies. Consultant led treatment which uses evidence based best practice also received praise. This means patients have access to the latest treatments and drugs under the care of expert consultants.
Other areas of outstanding practice were demonstrated throughout the inspection report included:
- Access to early phase clinical trial drugs, through the Sarah Cannon Research Institute, also part of HCA Healthcare UK.
- Excellent collaborative team work across services, to ensure each patient has a tailored care plan reviewed and delivered by Multidisciplinary Teams (MDTs).
- Good clinical governance structures in place to guide care, this is used to drive and improve the delivery of patient centred care and best practice.
- Medical services are independently reviewed, with treatments such as the stem cell and bone marrow transplant service receiving the internationally recognised JACIE accreditation for quality standards in care.
- An open and transparent culture promoted by a highly visible and passionate senior leadership team.
Delivering compassionate care
CQC inspectors praised the “kind and compassionate” staff for going the extra mile to deliver exceptional care that promotes patients’ dignity and independence.
Patients also praised the individualised care they received, remarking, “This is a truly outstanding unit, I have never experienced such kindness, care and compassion…the team has made a very difficult time so much more bearable”.
Claire Smith, CEO of HCA Healthcare UK Joint Ventures, said:
“Delivering compassionate, patient centred care is at the very heart of what we do. I am hugely proud of the outstanding rating awarded by the CQC.
“We have been working in partnership with University College Hospital for the last 11 years and we remain focused on continually raising standards of care for our patients.
“Every single team member has contributed to this result and I am so pleased to see that the CQC recognised that they are absolutely focussed on providing patients with the best possible care and treatment. It is a huge privilege to be part of such an outstanding team and I thank each and every one of them for the work that they do every day in such an acute environment.”